Friday, August 26, 2011

NFSW Community Spotlight: Rob Labbe



This week, we’re going to shine the spotlight on a long-time MMO player and NFSW fan. He’s been on the MMO scene for the past 15 years and has played in nearly two dozen MMOs. He’s reached level 50 in NFSW, currently has 39 cars in his garage and loves to customize his cars with vinyls. To check out some of his awesome creations, click here. He’s always happy to race with other gamers but don’t even try to challenge him about a certain Japanese movie monster.

Let’s get better acquainted with Rob Labbe from Tennessee, USA

Tell us about yourself.

I am a 45 year old father of six and a grandfather of five and I couldn’t be happier . I have a beautiful, wonderful wife whom I met online in a Yahoo chat room. The internet is not only something I have been living since i was 29, it really is a part of my life. So is gaming - my wife and I are hardcore gamers. Even my business is online in Second Life and has been for four years now.

How long have you been playing NFSW?

About 6 months, but I've been playing the NFS series since EA's first NFS title came out on ms-DOS. Yes, that long ago! If I remember correctly, it had 4 cars and 2 tracks.

What’s your favourite car(s) in NFSW?

Oh boy, tough question because I like them all. If I had to pick a favorite car, I stand 100% behind the BMW M3 for alot of reasons: class, style, sophistication, power and handling. I love the idea that it's level locked. I think every tier should be. I'm going to have to stick to the M3. It's a wonderful car and I'm a huge BMW fan.

Your most memorable experience in the game?

Farming with a friend had to be the funniest thing that ever happened to me. I was in my A-1 and took a corner so fast that I hit a wall, which was slightly u-shaped. I hit it so hard that my car continued riding the wall as though it was the street. I got so excited and was laughing so hard, that I accidentally hit the NOS button on my wheel, which made it all the more funnier. I just wish i had grabbed a screenshot! I was so loud and disruptive in our house that my dogs started barking like mad, thinking something was wrong. My wife started in with the "Whoa, big boy! Calm down." Haha.

What do you like most about NFSW?

Everything, honestly. My complaint list is really small. Any problems, of course, will sort itself out in time, as all Free2Plays are ever evolving games. That is precisely why I love the F2P model over the monthly pay and go stagnant 1 month after every release. What I like most is that I'm not shooting some WWII bad guy or swinging a sword. I cannot even explain how tired I am of that and I'm guessing by the sheer number of people coming to NFSW every week that I'm not alone.

What other console or online games do you play?

You're kidding, right? OK, here it goes: Eq1 (before Kunark 1st expansion), Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxy (before the major overhaul), Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Perfect World Malasyia then International PWE, Lord of the Rings Online, Battle of the Immortals, Forsaken worlds, Jade Dynasty, Eq2 and Eq2Extended, Second Life, Rift, Star Trek and of course my current fav, NFSWorld! Currently waiting on beta keys for Rusty Hearts/Blacklight Retribution and RaiderZ. It's a bit tough running an internet business and playing 2-4 games at a time but I do. I love it. People ask me, "Aren't you a little too old to be playing video games?" My response is always "No and I hope that day never comes."

Favourite cars or driving scene in a movie?

I would have to say my favourite scene is the last scene from Fast and the Furious, where Vin Diesel slams that 70 Charger to the floor and the sucker lifts up because it has so much torque. What a rush! My first car was a 66 Dodge Charger SE with 383 Magnum Holly 4 barrel edilbrook headers that worked. I actually broke the motor mounts because it had so much torque!

What song or music do you rock out to while playing NFSW?

Many have asked this question and many were shocked when they learn a grandfather like me listens to hard hitting cybergoth hardstyle/jumpstyle. I also listen to late 70's Aerosmith, Suicide Commando, Vombie Girl, Lords of Acid, Skinny Puppy, Psyclon Nine, Powerman 5000, Rage Against the Machine, Scooter, Pzychobytch, Bloody Beetroots, Unter null, Zeromancer and the always welcomed Daft Punk. I could write a whole page of hardstyle music that I like it - it just goes on and on.

When you’re not playing NFSW, what else are you up to?

Well, my youngest child is 17 years old, so raising children time is drawing to a close. My life has gone from hit the streets working and caring for young ones to the much more "cushy" sitting at home, raising my pups and running my very successful online business.

Godzilla or King Kong?

When I got this question, my wife looked at me and she burst out laughing! Godzilla, she screamed. I have every movie ever made featuring Godzilla. The TOHO Co. Ltd. ones, not the American "fish monster thing" that Hollywood came up with. I've even gone so far as to pull the big screen tv out onto the porch and have weekend long "Godzillathons" with about 15-20 friends. Godzilla, hands down.

If you would like to be profiled or know someone you think would be perfect for NFSW Community Spotlight, shoot an email to ling@needforspeed.com!

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment